Question on filtering incoming feed

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Jan 26 06:13:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Humes, David  G. wrote:

> INND 2.1

Eep!

> if they were to misconfigure the feed we would receive groups
> containing objectionable content.

You will only get articles for groups listed in your active file
(~news/db/active); other articles will be discarded (or possibly filed in
the "junk" group depending on your configuration, probably not though).
So you shouldn't have to worry about this (provided your control.ctl
doesn't result in groups being created without your approval).

> It seems like incoming.conf would
> be the place to filter that out, but I observe that we only filter our
> local groups so we don't get them from outside if someone were to
> create one.

Right, the above doesn't apply here because you *do* have those in
your active file but still don't want articles from outside.

> I'm guessing here that it's limited to 256 characters.  Is this a
> "feature" that I just have to live with, or is there anything that I
> can do.

I have no problem with long patterns in INN 2.3; I believe 2.2 also works
fine.  But given the stuff I said above you should be ok as is.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org