Audit of INN against draft-ietf-nntpext-base-13.txt complete

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Jun 5 21:02:08 UTC 2002

> Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:
>
> > Add X-Trace and X-Complaints-To unconditionally (stomping on anything
> > the client supplied)
>
> This is the only bit that's arguably against the RFC, so we should
> probably document this in the nnrpd man page as an intentional deviation
> from the standard.  (I understand the reasons for wanting to do it.)

Do you think this should be configurable? I can't manage to think of a
scenario in which you'd actually want to disable this behaviour.

I also got around to conditionalising IHAVE support via access: in
readers.conf (the `I' option), defaulting to off (plus you have to
have post access to whatever group you're injecting articles to).

> > I'm about to rewrite READline so the line length limit goes away which
> > fixes one of the problem cases I can't otherwise easily work around for
> > POST/IHAVE differences.
>
> Oh, excellent.  Thank you!  That's been bothering me for a really long
> time.

I'm having a great time - I so rarely get to write code anymore,
hacking something like that together is great fun!

Something else which is on the compliance list, the initial timeout I
thought maybe we could address with SO_KEEPALIVE - basically set it
until the initial command has come through, then turn it off; I'm not
sure what the comment in the code means by connection abandoned -
assuming it means something like the far end didn't send us a reset,
but has otherwise closed its connection, I think this should address
that need.