nnrpd_auth.pl loading issues

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Mar 26 18:37:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Mike Mondragon wrote:

> I had written a perl script that mimics the functionality of ckpasswd but
> does the authentication from data stored on a MySQL DB

I'm curious whether you need perl auth hooks at all...are you trying to
determine the list of groups a user can access from your SQL database?
Otherwise readers.conf with your custom authenticator should be fine, and
you had that working it seems.

> my user name and passwords the server would give me 502's from my testing
> remote host, and when testing from localhost would 381/281 for any
> username password combination whether they were valid or not.

If you change your script (temporarily) to always fail or always succeed,
is that reflected in the testing?

> I could not find anything in the log files to indicate that nnrpd_auth.pl
> had loaded correctly or if it loaded had perl or MySQL errors.

You probably want to edit your syslog.conf to log news.debug level
messages, those tend to show a lot of detail about nnrpd's processing (and
lots of other clutter, but it's easy enough to grep for "nnrpd").

(Check also in "errlog".)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org