retrieving expired messages

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Wed May 1 19:21:47 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 10:59  AM, Bill Tangren wrote:
> I am running inn 2.3.2-5, and I had left the expire settings, on one of
> my newsgroups, set to the default, and what I wanted was for them not to
> expire at all. I have made the requisite changes to expire.ctl, and I
> have the expired messages on backup tape. How do I retrieve them? I
> think that renumbering and history file are the big problems. Any ideas
> how to do this, or where to read up on how to do it?

Are you using tradspool? I don't think renumbering is a problem; INN
doesn't tend to reuse article numbers. (That would confuse most news
clients.) You should be able to restore the article files to the spool
directory, adjust the group's low article number in 'active', and
rebuild the overview database. (I don't know if rebuilding history is
also necessary.) See the man page for makehistory(8) (which also does
the overview databases).

Wim.