buffindexed.c:1525 Can't malloc 273997900 bytes: Not enough space

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Fri May 17 18:05:51 UTC 2002

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0205101504160.1544-100000 at pluto.nerdc.ufl.edu>,
	Gautam Das <gautam at ufl.edu> wrote;

} expireover is exiting after running for about 6 hours instead of taking
} the usual 12 to 14 hours, and in the news.daily report I am seeing the
} following error:
}
} buffindexed.c:1525 Can't malloc 273997900 bytes: Not enough space

If you have huge number of articles in some newsgroup,
it may happen.  But,

} expireover[34302]: buffindexed: could not open overview for
} 'alt.autos.ford'
} expireover[34302]: buffindexed: ovgroupmmap ovbuff is null(ovindex is
} 12599,  ovblock is 925972024

may affect the problem.

} Is my overview data is inconsistent. Whats wrong?

It looks like somewhat corrupted.  Did your server crashed?

} Shall I consider moving overview to tradindexed?

The problem should be gone if you move to tradindexed.
But if you want to gain performance, tradindexed is not
so fast in high volumed environment.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou