buffindexed.c:1525 Can't malloc 273997900 bytes: Not enough space

Gautam Das gautam at ufl.edu
Fri May 10 19:17:38 UTC 2002

System - inn-2.3.2 on aix 4.3.3. The news spool is on a GPFS filesystem.

expireover is exiting after running for about 6 hours instead of taking
the usual 12 to 14 hours, and in the news.daily report I am seeing the
following error:

buffindexed.c:1525 Can't malloc 273997900 bytes: Not enough space

The filesystems that holds the new spool is 105 gigs and has 20 gigs free.

The overview storage is buffindexed. I have 10 x 1gig files for overview.
And inndf shows the following:

news at spnode25 $ inndf -o
89 % overview space used

I am seeing thousands of lines of logs as below:

expireover[34302]: buffindexed: could not open overview for
'alt.autos.ford'
expireover[34302]: buffindexed: ovgroupmmap ovbuff is null(ovindex is
12599,  ovblock is 925972024

When I try to read certain newsgroups tin blocks for ever and during that
time I  see many logs from nnrpd as below:

nnrpd[36566]: buffindexed: ovgroupmmap ovbuff is null(ovindex is 12599,
ovblock is 925972024

Is my overview data is inconsistent. Whats wrong?

Shall I consider moving overview to tradindexed?

Any clues would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gautam Das                              gautam at ufl.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               Tel: (352) 392-2061
Northeast Regional Data Center          Fax: (352) 392-9440
University of Florida