Posting problems

Donald Roeber droeber at isc.upenn.edu
Mon Nov 25 19:57:03 UTC 2002

I'm running nnrpd in daemon mode, bound on one IP address with the name
"nea" associated to it in DNS. nnrpd is also running with -o, so that I
can run rnews -U later to post articles.  innd is listening on the
other IP address for the machine, with noreaders turned on in inn.conf.
  That IP's name is nntp, which is also the name of the server in
inn.conf.  I'm having problems posting articles to the server.  Using a
nntp client, I connect to nea, and post an article.  Here's the
news.notice output from that transacation:

Nov 25 14:48:16 nea nnrpd[129831]: tyr.isc-net.upenn.edu connect
Nov 25 14:48:31 nea nnrpd[129831]: tyr.isc-net.upenn.edu post ok
<artuqf$3up7$1 at nea.isc-net.upenn.edu>

The article is now written to a file in
/usr/local/news/spool/incoming/.  Now I run rnews -U by hand, and this
appears in my news.notice file:

Nov 25 14:48:43 nea rnews: offered
<artuqf$3up7$1 at nea.isc-net.upenn.edu> 3de27e8f
Nov 25 14:48:43 nea rnews: unknown_reply after ihave 480 Transfer
permission denied

The article is no longer in /usr/local/news/spool/incoming (or in /bad
in that directory).  I've made sure that the ME newsfeed in
incoming.conf contains not only localhost and 127.0.0.1 but also the
fully qualified names for both nea and nntp.

Anyone have any ideas?  Hopefully this is one of those obvious things
that I've missed.

--
Donald Roeber
ISC Networking