Posting problems

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 25 20:32:10 UTC 2002

Donald Roeber <droeber at isc.upenn.edu> writes:

> The article is now written to a file in
> /usr/local/news/spool/incoming/.  Now I run rnews -U by hand, and this
> appears in my news.notice file:

> Nov 25 14:48:43 nea rnews: offered
> <artuqf$3up7$1 at nea.isc-net.upenn.edu> 3de27e8f
> Nov 25 14:48:43 nea rnews: unknown_reply after ihave 480 Transfer
> permission denied

> The article is no longer in /usr/local/news/spool/incoming (or in /bad
> in that directory).  I've made sure that the ME newsfeed in
> incoming.conf contains not only localhost and 127.0.0.1 but also the
> fully qualified names for both nea and nntp.

That error message doesn't come from innd; it only comes from nnrpd.  So
whatever news server rnews is connecting to doesn't think that it's in
incoming.conf and is handing it off to nnrpd.  This means that rnews is
not using the local socket, and from what you say above isn't using
localhost either.

Do you have nnrpdposthost set in inn.conf?  rnews follows that setting to
determine what server to try to post to.