Status of new overview code

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 9 02:29:41 UTC 2002

I'm now running the new overview code on one of my production reader
servers, the one that will become the new sole reader server for campus
here.  Expire segfaulted last night because it ran out of file descriptors
and didn't handle the error well; I've both corrected the error handling
and fixed the file descriptor leak.  I also found a race condition with
writing articles and expiring at the same time that I fixed and cleaned up
a few other nits in the new code.

I expect it to do fine tonight, but I'm going to keep watching it closely
for a few more days.  If I don't see any more problems, my intention is to
declare it sufficiently tested and to switch over to the new overview
code.

Having tdx-util is very nice, particularly if you're running tradspool but
it's pretty nice even without that.  Having smaller hammers to use than
makehistory makes it much easier to do things.