Race condition in shlock.c (time window between ValidLock and unlink)

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Mon Sep 16 10:22:08 UTC 2002

moving from inn-bugs,

In article <Pine.LNX.4.30.0208271116520.6255-100000 at bearn.asset-control.com>,
	Berend Reitsma <berend at asset-control.com> wrote;

} As far as I can tell there is a time window between the ValidLock
} returning FALSE and the unlink after that.
} There is no guarantee that you are unlinking the same file you just
} checked. This means that there is a posibility that two (or more) shlocks
} will succeed when they should not ...
}
} In fact I can reliable reproduce it with the following script while
} forcing the system into swap.
}
} If this already a known fact, it would be nice to have this at least in
} the documentation.

I don't think shlock is used so heavily that above case
may happen.  So, I think it should be noted in man pages
rather than fixing at the moment.  Any comments?
--
Katsuhiro Kondou