import old groups to new server

Rick Segeberg rick.segeberg at waterford.org
Wed Sep 18 18:54:48 UTC 2002

I recently made the mistake of upgrading my news server from Redhat 7.0
to 7.2.  Since INN has changed between those versions, it trashed my
news configuration.  In trying to fix it (the upgrade actually had two
version of INN w/ different cfg files, different directories, etc. -
what a mess), I decided to just reinstall RH 7.3 fresh.

Now I've got it running great, but I need to bring over my old groups.
This is a stand alone server just used internally (no feeds in or out).
I found a thread from "Hawk" in trying to do a similar task, but he
figured it out on his own without posting his solution (that I can find
in the archives).  So far, this is what I've done:

adding all groups I had in INN 2.2
copying /spool/news/ from inn 2.2
updating active file manualy to match first,last post numbers in spool
makehistory
makedbz -i
renaming history.n.* to history.*
launching INN

I'm still missing a piece of the puzzle, because none of the old threads
appear in the newsreader, yet I can post new articles.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Rick.