Recovery Help ...

divya at avnika.com divya at avnika.com
Tue Aug 5 21:00:57 UTC 2003

> divya at avnika.com writes:
>
>> Hmm, the man page mentions makedbz ... do I need to run that manually
>> too?
>
> I think you may need to.  I don't remember for sure whether the history
> rebuild that's done by makehistory does that automatically.
>
> --
> Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu)
> <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Well, I did as you instructed, but something is mot right still

I ran "makehistory -e -f /export/usr2/news/db/history.new -O"

and I got a lot of lines like:
   makehistory: Can't write overview data
       "@03045349580000000000000F839F00000002@"
   makehistory: Can't write overview data
       "@03045349580000000000001359DB00000002@"
   No Message-ID: in @0304534958000000000000165A0D00000002@
   No Message-ID: in @030453495800000000000016CDCD00000002@

and then at the end, I got:

$ sh-2.05$ ls -l history*
-rw-r--r--    1 news     news     67452443 Aug  5 14:39 history.new
-rw-rw-r--    1 news     news     289630543 Aug  5 06:30 history-old

The new history file is far smaller in size than I had expected.
Does this indicate the CNFS Buffers were corrupted?

Regards

Divya