Mailpost

Erik Klavon erik at eriq.org
Sat Aug 30 18:22:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:14:14PM -0400, W.A.Sellers at larc.nasa.gov wrote:
> I would like to work on it, as we use it quite a bit as a mirror for
> some mailing lists.  The issue we have is when a single message with
> a unique message-id is directed at mailpost (via two mailing lists)
> with two different local newsgroups.  There is a race condition set
> up, and the first message makes it into the spool, and the second
> gets bounced by inews as a duplicate.

We've seen this behavior too. Have you looked at the -c option? It
assumes mail is fast and isn't delayed. It also assumes that a
multiple messages hitting mailpost with duplicate message ids should
be cross posted which I don't think is what you want. My initial thought
was to add a flag that when present would cause the newsgroup to be
prepend to the message id in the dbm. Any instance of mailpost with
this option would not impact any other instances of mailpost,
including those without the option. (I am making the assumption here
that no mail message ids would ever look like a newsgroup prepended
with a mail message id.)

> Secondly, getting mailpost working with sendmail 8.9.x, with all the
> anti-relay and anti-spam features, is not intuitive.  I would like
> to add a README-mailpost.sendmail file with some instructions to
> make it work.

I can't speak for the maintainers, but I think they would be happy to
have any additional documentation =)

> Lastly, the man page for mailpost states under BUGS, "Is lacking in
> configurability."  Can we fix that?

Maybe, but it depends on what you want to configure and how you want
to go about it.

> This isn't a high priority, so other things may take precedence.  I
> also don't want to duplicate someone else's effort.  But, I would
> like a few mods to mailpost.

Same here. I think this list is a good place to coordinate. Has anyone
else been thinking about mailpost or working on it?

Erik

--
erik         | "It is idle to think that, by means of words, | Maurice
  kl at von     | any real communication can ever pass | Maeterlinck