Mailpost

W.A.Sellers at larc.nasa.gov W.A.Sellers at larc.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 30 01:14:14 UTC 2003

> I don't know about other people, but there are some things I would
> like to see done differently in mailpost. I haven't gotten around to
> thinking about those things enough to propose any changes yet. (So
> I guess this means I'm volunteering to do some work on mailpost at
> some point if no one else is more inclined.)
>
> What did you have in mind?

I would like to work on it, as we use it quite a bit as a mirror for some mailing lists.  The issue we have is when a single message with a unique message-id is directed at mailpost (via two mailing lists) with two different local newsgroups.  There is a race condition set up, and the first message makes it into the spool, and the second gets bounced by inews as a duplicate.

Secondly, getting mailpost working with sendmail 8.9.x, with all the anti-relay and anti-spam features, is not intuitive.  I would like to add a README-mailpost.sendmail file with some instructions to make it work.

Lastly, the man page for mailpost states under BUGS, "Is lacking in configurability."  Can we fix that?

This isn't a high priority, so other things may take precedence.  I also don't want to duplicate someone else's effort.  But, I would like a few mods to mailpost.

Bill