web based news server

MC mc at hack.org
Mon Dec 29 09:26:15 UTC 2003

Jayanta Debnath <pro_jayant at yahoo.com> writes:

> we have a inn news server running on linux machine in
> our institute. we want to make a web interface for
> this. can anyone please suggest where and how to start
> with.

You might be interested in NewsPortal or WebNews:

  NewsPortal is a PHP script enables the access to a newsserver (by
  NNTP) from a webpage. It allows you to combine web-forums and
  newsgroups. The script is also suitable for presentation of announce
  newsgroups on web pages, without having the user notice that he is
  in fact accessing a news server.

    http://florian-amrhein.de/newsportal/english

  WebNews is a CGI-based NNTP newsreader written in Perl, designed for
  ease of use (minimal configuration required) and multiple concurrent
  user accesses.

    http://www.dgate.org/webnews/

I'm using WebNews on two News servers myself. I've changed it to
include a CSS file, to use accesskey elements and to have rudimentary
thread support.

--
MC, http://hack.org/mc/