syslog to localhost with controlchan

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 30 04:50:33 UTC 2003

Katsuhiro Kondou <Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org> writes:

> Gradually, I'm getting restarted with latest cvs tree on Panther,
> and noticed controlchan is keeping up and down after innd starts.
> I found the reason, and the hostname of the box is not registered
> in hosts nor dns.

Hm.  For any other Unix box, I'd consider that a configuration error bad
enough to not be worth working around in software (not the DNS part, which
shouldn't matter, but the /etc/hosts part), but I have no idea what the
Mac OS X defaults look like.  And maybe my feeling is wrong, given how
much dynamic IP assignment happens these days.

> This can be fixed by adding "$Sys::Syslog::host = 'localhost';"
> into controlchan.  Any comments?

The difficulty with doing this unconditionally is that we then lose if
syslogd is configured not to listen to network sockets.  Really, what we
want controlchan to do is use the syslog() C API... I thought a current
Sys::Syslog would just do that, but I believe I was mistaken.

I wonder if there's some way of forcing that....