Problem with history - cant fgets after article

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 30 19:39:57 UTC 2003

Thomas H=FChn <inn at daphne.gnuu.de> writes:

> When rnews (or rnews -U) runs I get those entries in news.notice:

> | Dec 28 23:49:41 daphne rnews: cant fgets after article: Illegal seek
> | Dec 28 23:49:41 daphne rnews: cant unspool saving to
> | /self/inn/spool/incoming/bad/uucp.gnuuA5DXlq

> I haven't found much about that "cant fgets after article" in Google
> Groups and don't know what's wrong.

This sounds really familiar.  I'm sure that I've seen this before in
news.software.nntp or on this mailing list.  I *think* this means innd has
died; is that what you're seeing?  Is there anything in errlog?

> In the meantime I get even more errors:

> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne rnews: offered
> | <200312282208.hBSM8Nn8004028 at jupiter.gwalter.demon.co.uk> uucp.gnuu
> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: dbz not open for this history file
> | /self/inn/db/history
> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: dbz not open for this history file
> | /self/inn/db/history
> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: tradindexed: index inode mismatch for
> | F7961EF57C01E9591BA1834459B07AC9

> Do you have a clue what might have gong wrong?

Well, that would seem to indicate that your history file is hosed.  I'm
not sure about the tradindexed error; that particular message is sometimes
a harmless warning.  tdx-util -A will audit your overview database and see
if it can find any other problems.

--=20