ovdb - stable?

Marek Iwanejko M.Iwanejko at elka.pw.edu.pl
Mon Feb 3 13:44:19 UTC 2003

On 3 Feb 2003, Alex Kiernan wrote:
> Marek Iwanejko <M.Iwanejko at elka.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Due to problem with handling full feed by my readerboxes I'm thinking
> > about moving overview from buffindex to ovdb.
> >
> > How stable is ovdb now? I've seen some mails about ovdb problems but it
> > was quite time ago. Does anybody use it on server with 4-10 mln stored
> > articles?
> >
> > Which version of BerkeleyDB would you advise?
> >
> > My readerboxes are running INN 2.3.4 on solaris (sparc platform)
> >

> I haven't tried it recently, but in the past its always hung in one of
> the Berkeley DB mutex functions after /some/ uptime (at least on SMP
> Solaris - thats all I've ever tried on). AFAIK no ones ever really
> gotten to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks for the anwser. www pages About INN and ovdb weren't updated for
more than 1 year so I i wasn't sure:
- nobody cares about ovdb
- ovdb is v. stable - no updates needed ;-)))

Temporarily solved the problem with bottleneck.
When throw out vxfs 3.5 I got over 1000% performance kick on max incoming
art rate (multiple innxmit from outher reader server). Tried tuneup
veritas for few days with no results.
UFS works without logging, vxfs was running evenm with "tmplog" flag.

I'm not sure wether problem is in sol9 or vxfs 3.5, but vxfs3.4p9
didn't work good too :(
I will follow this case with techs from sun. Mayby it requires some
specific options...

Regards,
 Marek