bad_newsgroup - xref slave

Miquel van Smoorenburg list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Sat Feb 15 20:59:56 UTC 2003

In article <ylof5dxpou.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
Russ Allbery  <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl> writes:
>
>> Yup. So it appears that if a newsgroup is present on the master but not
>> on the slave, the slave dies (throttles at least). That's bad, no ?
>
>It's the way that Xref slaving has always worked, so far as I know.  In
>order to do Xref slaving, you have to have identical newsgroup lists on
>both hosts.

The thing is, a new newsgroup was created on the master but not
on the slave for some reason. Or the new group was created a tad
bit later on the slave, and one article already got through.
A race condition.

>I'm not sure what would be a better way of handling this.

Just ignore the non-existing group? Falling over and dying is a
bit drastic.

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.

Reply to the list or to miquels at cistron-office.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)