bad_newsgroup - xref slave

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 15 21:05:19 UTC 2003

Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl> writes:
> Russ Allbery  <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> I'm not sure what would be a better way of handling this.

> Just ignore the non-existing group? Falling over and dying is a
> bit drastic.

If the non-existing group is ignored, though, you no longer have a
complete slave (and the Xref information in the article is also wrong for
the slave, but that's less of an issue).  As soon as you accept the
article, you can't ever (easily) recover full slave state; if you throttle
and the admin goes and fixes the newsgroup list, you then recover full
slave status as soon as the feed catches up.

I was toying with the idea of deferring it, in the hope that it's a race
condition, but if it's not just a race, one can defer the article for
forever.