Allowing incoming crossposts to local groups

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Jan 17 19:19:28 UTC 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Donald Roeber wrote:

> As I understand it, if a distribution pattern for an incoming peer is
> set to not accept articles for a certain group, these articles are not
> accepted if the group name exists in the Newsgroups: header at all.

I think the difference between ! patterns and @ patterns will serve you
here (see the newsfeeds(5) manpage).

(Careful, "distribution" is a technical term in this context, and it
refers to the part of the pattern after the optional slash.  But I know
what you mean.)

> I'd like to accept all articles for my local groups, but only if
> they're crossposted articles.  What is the best way to go about this?
> Should I remove the exclusion pattern from my incoming peers
> definition, and then do all of my article handling with filter_innd.pl?

Are you using Cleanfeed anyway?  It has support for all sorts of crazy
stuff (I don't think your needs are crazy, though; INN should be able to
handle them as is).

>   What sort of overhead would this be for the system?

Probably not enough to worry about.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org