Planning a new NNTP server.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jan 29 20:47:10 UTC 2003

	Well, we are a long time user of Typhoon, but I guess every time the
company that owns the rights to Typhoon changes you have to buy a new
support contract in order to get new versions or even to get a copy of the
old version that you paid $10000 dollars for ;-) /rantoff. Ok I guess I'm
going to try and use INN for our NNTP server, my question is, what is a
decent system configuration for a news server these days?

This is a box I have available right now.

2x1.13ghz PIII
1024 MB / ram
4 X 16.9GB Scsi-3 drive

I'm going to put linux on this server (redhat).

I assume 80 GB is pretty small for a USENET server, so how much space does a
respectable server need? Also is IDE still too slow for this type of
application?

Thanks,
-Drew