Planning a new NNTP server.

William F. Maton wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Wed Jan 29 21:25:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Drew Weaver wrote:

> This is a box I have available right now.
>
> 2x1.13ghz PIII
> 1024 MB / ram
> 4 X 16.9GB Scsi-3 drive

CPU and RAM seem OK.

> I'm going to put linux on this server (redhat).
>
> I assume 80 GB is pretty small for a USENET server, so how much space does a
> respectable server need? Also is IDE still too slow for this type of
> application?

It depends.  I managed a server with a 300GB spool, 9x36GB SCSI-2 disks,
linux, dual 1GHz CPU Band 1GB of RAM.  This server had a small reader
population (about 100) and peered with several severs, transitting
articles to them.

I had no alt.binaries at all, so as of June 2002, I could keep about 1
weeks worth of news with about 25% disk to spare.  I don't have numbers on
hierarchies that I had though, sorry.

These days, I'm getting a new box, with a Terabyte this time, but again no
alt.binaries.

Oh, BTW, I kept history - essentially /var/news/db on a separate disk, a
36GB.  In retrospect, it was too big for that, but....YMMV.

Good luck,

wfms