articles in deleted groups not expired

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 30 23:23:01 UTC 2003

Marco d'Itri <md at Linux.IT> writes:

> I just noticed that one of my server has in the history file (and on the
> spool!) many articles posted in groups which have since been deleted.
> What could cause expire to ignore them?

> It's running 2.3.3.

tradspool with tradindexed has had this problem for basically forever.  It
doesn't know when to delete articles.  You can't just purge all articles
in a deleted group right away, since some of them may be the "primary"
article location for crossposted articles to other groups that shouldn't
expire yet, but you do have to purge them eventually.

Right now, they never get deleted unless someone prunes them by hand.

The best solution is probably to retain the overview information for
deleted groups until all the articles in that group expire.  This will
require a good bit of thought on the best way to implement it in
tradindexed without breaking anything.  I was planning on looking at this
for 2.5 and then backporting to 2.4 if I could develop a clean solution.