news user or also group

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Nov 13 16:55:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 g.lams at itcilo.it wrote:

> The following commands need to be run by the "news" user or can also be
> run by a member of the "news" group (I'm thinking about putting the apache
> user in the "news" group so that I don't have to setuid ctlinnd)?

It's not actually the permissions on ctlinnd that matter exactly, but
rather whether the $pathrun/control fifo is writable.  So mine is

    # ls -l run/control
    srwxrwxr-x    1 news     news            0 Oct 20 13:12 run/control

and thus running ctlinnd as the news group should be fine.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org