Newbie questions on newsgroup install and setup.

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Nov 13 16:59:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Courier wrote:

> I am a newbie here and please just easy on me. I am trying to setup a
> newsgroup for local users to use: ie: post and read, but does not have to
> pull any news from another group. However, I could have not able to to see
> the newsgroup list that I created on my server. Any help where to start or
> what files do I need to changes or post out please let me know.

You need to read the INSTALL file; it has very detailed instructions on
how to configure INN.  As the FAQ points out, there's not very much
different for doing local-only:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.1

> Innd came with redhat: version inn-2.3.2-5

This is an outdated version of INN.  Before you spend the time to get it
setup, please remove the RPM and install at *least* a more recent 2.3.x
(and 2.4.x would be better).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org