Begginer questions: please be patient!

Guich listas at superwaba.com.br
Tue Nov 18 16:23:29 UTC 2003

Hi Jeffrey,

Many thanks for you answer.

> > 1. Prohibit attachments: messages with attachments would be deleted or
the
> > attachment would be simply stripped.
>
> Prohibition is easy with something like Cleanfeed, or even better with a
> posting filter, but people certainly do this sort of thing.  Modification
> of news articles is generally consdired a bad idea, so INN doesn't have
> support for that.

Bad idea is newbies attach 1MB of bmp files for screenshots. Most mail lists
stripts out attachments, so, there's no real reason to INN don't do that
too.

> > 3. Can read MBox files (this would be great, bc i only have the old
> > newsgroup files in mbox format.
>
> INN doesn't, although with a little scripting you could probably make
> those into rnews batch format.

Where can i find such thing? This is a crucial thing for me.

> The much easier solution is to leave the old news server running and
> transfer the messages with something like "pullnews" (in the INN
> distribution).  You want to do something like this:

It would be great, but the old news is down for 3 weeks! That's why i'm
trying to host it again. Can you imagine what is 3 weeks of absense in a
community with more than 100 messages per day?

> > 5. Can it interface clearly with google news front-end?
>
> I don't understand this question.

Some people read the news from google html based nntp, but the old server
got some problems to interface with it, so messages was not posted
correctly. I don't know if this was a google or the old IIS problem.

best regards

     guich