Begginer questions: please be patient!

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Nov 18 18:42:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Guich wrote:

> > Modification of news articles is generally consdired a bad idea, so
> > INN doesn't have support for that.
>
> Bad idea is newbies attach 1MB of bmp files for screenshots. Most mail lists
> stripts out attachments, so, there's no real reason to INN don't do that
> too.

I'm not going to go into the reasons here, but I can tell you that you're
not going to be able to make INN modify articles without hacking the
source yourself.  You *can* have it reject articles with attachments,
though.

> > > 3. Can read MBox files (this would be great, bc i only have the old
> > > newsgroup files in mbox format.
> >
> > INN doesn't, although with a little scripting you could probably make
> > those into rnews batch format.
>
> Where can i find such thing? This is a crucial thing for me.

The rnews format is documented in the rnews manpage, which is installed
with INN, or can be found online at:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/

I don't know anyone who has done this, but it shouldn't be too hard.

> It would be great, but the old news is down for 3 weeks! That's why i'm
> trying to host it again. Can you imagine what is 3 weeks of absense in a
> community with more than 100 messages per day?

Ah, ok.

> > > 5. Can it interface clearly with google news front-end?
> >
> > I don't understand this question.
>
> Some people read the news from google html based nntp, but the old server
> got some problems to interface with it, so messages was not posted
> correctly. I don't know if this was a google or the old IIS problem.

I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure how to answer this without more
information.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org