file feed

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Nov 23 15:04:05 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Guich wrote:

> > Do your messages have an Xref header that is correct?  (The number must
> > match the filename.)
>
> Even if the files are not in order? I mean, files 1 2 3 5 7 10 exists, but
> the others don't. Will there be any problem with this?

No problem at all.

> 1. stopped INN.
> 2. deleted db/history.* and db/history
> 3. ran: "makehistory -O -b"
>
> Now my newsgroup can find all messages, BUT it keep saying that i have more
> messages to download than i actually have.
>
> I already checked the "active" file, and it says that the ng has only 4
> messages, but my outlook express says that i have 11 messages to download
> (every time i redo this process, it adds 4 messages to this count).

Questions:

- Do you have *both* "useoverchan: false" in inn.conf *and* an overchan
  feed in newsfeeds?  That's the usual explanation for this.

- Before running makehistory -O, you theoretically should delete all of
  your old overview files (but leave the spool/overview/ directory
  itself).

- If this is a version of INN between 2.3.0 and 2.3.4 or so, you may
  want to upgrade; there were some makehistory problems.

- If you're using 2.4.x, try `tdx-util -A` to examine your tradindexed
  overview database.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org