Articles and overview out of sync

Rune Maagensen rune at maagensen.com
Sat Oct 11 02:01:06 UTC 2003

I have recently rebuilt my overview db due to problems with messages not being stored. Now a minor problem occurs:

When selecting my news server several groups says they have messages in them they have not. Happens in both Mozilla and OE.

In mozilla group.one and group.two says they have respectivly 2 and 10 new messages, but when the groups are selected none are present.

In outlook express after a syncronisation of the headers a group is said to hold 1400 messages which is true, but when the group is selected it says 5634 news messages. The headers of the 1400 messages can be downloaded, but the remaining 4200 messages doesn't exist and cannot be downloaded.

I think this has to do with a faulty overview and/or history database. But I don't know how to fix it. If I try to delete the /var/spool/news/overview and makehistory -O -f -X an error about not being able to open the overview db:

news.err:
Oct 11 03:23:01 iss makehistory[9776]: tradindexed: could not create /var/spool/news/overview/group.index: No such file or directory

How do I tell inn to recount all articles in all groups and create databases based on this? There are less than 10000 articles in 20 groups so it should be doable.

TIA

Rune