fullfeed related questions / cycbuff limitations

Pavel V. Knyazev pasha at surnet.ru
Wed Sep 10 16:17:57 UTC 2003

Hi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hendrik Scholz" <hscholz at raisdorf.net>
Subject: fullfeed related questions / cycbuff limitations

> innd seems to be limited by the fact that the incoming feeds have
> to be handled by one process. The backlogs of the remote
> servers take >12h to be processes and might increase on one side
> when innd is busy handling the other one.

Is there enough connectivity?
Is there enough streams opened to you?
What is the TCP latency between you and your peers?

> The db/ directory is on a local raid, spool is on NFS with Gbit.
> Disabling tradspool for text groups does not increase performance
> since the network load is only ~10MBytes/s.

80 Mbit/s? Hmm, it is a lot.
Disable tradspool without thinking a lot.
Your incoming traffic can grow at any time.

> Is a 500Mhz Xeon (1MB Cache) enough for such a fullfeed?

Single 500MHz CPU does keep up with receiving 200-300
Gbytes a day. However you may not keep up with sending
it to other peers. And i don't know how it deals with a higher
traffic. It was 2 years ago ...

> Would a 700MHz Xeon (2MB) handle it?

Yes. Single 700MHz processor can keep up with the fullfeed.
Fullfeed takes around 70Mbits (700Gbytes/1day). However,
you may find that you have only 2-3% of free CPU time. I
think you should upgrade as soon as possible.

Don't forget, at least you have 2 two processes: innd and innfeed.
I don't think INN is limited in terms of using SMP. You've got
more than 2 processes? - Not a problem! Run several innfeeds.

--
Pavel V. Knyazev