fullfeed related questions / cycbuff limitations

Hendrik Scholz hscholz at raisdorf.net
Wed Sep 10 17:51:14 UTC 2003

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:17:57 +0600
"Pavel V. Knyazev" <pasha at surnet.ru> wrote:

> Is there enough connectivity?

The two (full) feeds are coming from local machines connected
via Gbit ethernet.

> Is there enough streams opened to you?

Up to 25 connections per feed are allowed and used.

> What is the TCP latency between you and your peers?

<1ms :)

> 80 Mbit/s? Hmm, it is a lot.
> Disable tradspool without thinking a lot.
> Your incoming traffic can grow at any time.

I disabled tradspool.

> > Is a 500Mhz Xeon (1MB Cache) enough for such a fullfeed?
>
> Single 500MHz CPU does keep up with receiving 200-300
> Gbytes a day. However you may not keep up with sending
> it to other peers. And i don't know how it deals with a higher
> traffic. It was 2 years ago ...

There won't be any outgoing feeds, just readers

> > Would a 700MHz Xeon (2MB) handle it?
>
> Yes. Single 700MHz processor can keep up with the fullfeed.
> Fullfeed takes around 70Mbits (700Gbytes/1day). However,
> you may find that you have only 2-3% of free CPU time. I
> think you should upgrade as soon as possible.

Ok, I'll try to get something faster.

> Don't forget, at least you have 2 two processes: innd and innfeed.
> I don't think INN is limited in terms of using SMP. You've got
> more than 2 processes? - Not a problem! Run several innfeeds.

The box has 8 CPUs but the incoming part is limited by the
innd (and not innfeed).

Thanks, Hendrik

--
Hendrik Scholz - <hscholz at raisdorf.net> - http://raisdorf.net/

drag me, drop me - treat me like an object