fullfeed related questions / cycbuff limitations

Pavel V. Knyazev pasha at surnet.ru
Thu Sep 11 11:59:56 UTC 2003

Hi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hendrik Scholz" <hscholz at raisdorf.net>
Subject: Re: fullfeed related questions / cycbuff limitations

> There won't be any outgoing feeds, just readers
>
> > > Would a 700MHz Xeon (2MB) handle it?
> >
> > Yes. Single 700MHz processor can keep up with the fullfeed.
> > Fullfeed takes around 70Mbits (700Gbytes/1day). However,
> > you may find that you have only 2-3% of free CPU time. I
> > think you should upgrade as soon as possible.
>
> Ok, I'll try to get something faster.

I've got to tell you, readers make a higher load than just ougoing feeds.
Upgrade without doubt. Otherwise you may experience difficulties
accessing your binary newsgroups.

> > Don't forget, at least you have 2 two processes: innd and innfeed.
> > I don't think INN is limited in terms of using SMP. You've got
> > more than 2 processes? - Not a problem! Run several innfeeds.
>
> The box has 8 CPUs but the incoming part is limited by the
> innd (and not innfeed).

All right, there's no innfeed, but there are readers. It's all the same.
It's even better to have more slower CPUs, than just faster single
one. For newsfeed servers it's all inside out.

If you still haven't got any advice from Russ, then show us your
daily innreport, please.

--
Pavel V. Knyazev