a set of allowed characters in INN's newsgroups

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 23 16:39:05 UTC 2003

Pavel V Knyazev <pasha at surnet.ru> writes:

> There is a set of symbols i cannot use in newsgroups' names.
> According to man 3 uwildmat these are at least     ! @ # * ? \
> and i guess it's not a full list of restricted ones. Obviously,
> symbols like    " ,    also cannot be used there.

> Paraphrasing the question, what is the set of allowed characters
> in newsgroups? These are from A to Z, from a to z, from 0 to 9.
> What about     _ + $ % \ ' `   and the other symbols?

INN internally shouldn't care too much about what characters you use in
newsgroup names.  However, the Usenet standards pretty much limit the
character set to alphanumerics plus [.+-] (not including the brackets).
Underscore is technically not allowed, but isn't uncommon.

Be careful with some of the other characters, since they're shell
metacharacters and may do odd things if not properly quoted.

> How can i check my active and newsfeeds files to be sure that each one
> is correct and free of unwanted symbols?

grep?