maxconnections

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:18:48 UTC 2003

Pavel V Knyazev <pasha at surnet.ru> writes:

> Can this be a new feature of INN?

It could be if someone implements it.  Personally, I'd really recommend
that people run nnrpd and innd on different ports, though, since tracking
simultaneous connections is a very solved problem and adding a new and
probably inferior implementation in INN strikes me as a bit of a waste of
effort.

If you run innd and nnrpd on separate ports, which is what I always do,
you can use the mass of existing software like xinetd and tcpserver that
supports not only this feature but quite a few other handy features for
controlling access at the TCP level and also get the advantage of any
further improvements in those programs.