FAQ Questions?

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Apr 27 17:44:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Christoph Biedl wrote:

> divya at avnika.com wrote...
>
> >  Even for intranet groups, this means 40-100K articles. In tradspool,
> >  this means 40-100K little files in a single directory which I suspect
> >  is not conducive to performance.

Unless you actually *have* performance problems, why worry about it?
There's nothing that's going to be as convenient as tradspool, especially
for a local hierarchy.

> >  I didn't understand the readers.conf documentation well enough here.
>
> Doing this via readers.conf sounds like a lot of pain.  Correct me if
> I'm wrong.

Depends on how complicated the readers.conf is.  It's pretty easy to
change:

    newsgroups: "*,!junk,!control,!control.*"

    read: "*,!junk,!control,!control.*"
    post: "*,!junk,!control,!control.*,!some.special.group"

in one place, but obviously could get awkward in a readers.conf with many
access groups.

> > (5) Is there any way to disallow non-plain-text articles?
>
> See perl filters.  Usually cleanfeed does this job quite well.

Agreed.

> >  Is there a way to temporary throttle the news server, make a backup
> >  copy of the CNFS buffers and then unthrottle the news servers?
>
> [...] Anyway, I consider backing up a cnfs buffer rather silly, [...]

Yup.  CNFS buffers really are designed for high-traffic, low-value
storage, where you want to optimize for speed and overwrite old articles
automatically.  It's probably a poor decision to keep valuable local
groups in CNFS -- you lose a lot of power, and the only way to guarantee
the articles won't expire is to make the buffer much much larger than you
need so it can't roll over.

However, in general, one of the easiest ways to back up INN is to back up
the config files and perhaps your local tradspool, and then have another
installation of INN around being fed copies of articles in groups you care
about.  If you do this with xrefslave, you'll be left with a backup that
can be used with no downtime for restoration.

(Or, as a slightly less complicated solution, you can use the "archive"
tool in $pathbin to write copies to a different filesystem.  But again,
this approach really only makes sense in groups you want to keep
indefinitely, since otherwise your backup will just keep growing.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org