Best storage method for reader box

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 28 13:02:27 UTC 2004

Mike Zanker wrote:
> I'm looking for the best compromise between news reader speed and
> expire times.
>
> My own experience so far is that tradindexed offers good performance
> for readers (fast XOVER and NEWNEWS) but can take ages to expire.
>
> Timecaf gives a relatively quick expire but XOVER is horrendous on a
> group with a few thousand unread articles.
>
> How are timehash and CNFS in this respect?

The main advantage of CNFS is that it keeps you from running out of disk
space. This is such a huge advantage that I next properly tried anything
else. Well, other than tradindexed when it was the only game in town.

On a reader machine you will probably not like any file per article
storage under heavy load.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com)