mail-news gw + message delete

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 10 01:03:35 UTC 2004

bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

> I made all my list into moderated groups. Posts go back to the moderator
> address, and I have the mail come into a single address which uses
> procmail to call a program I wrote to massage the headers and generate
> output in rnews format. That gets picked up and things get posted.

I highly recommend this approach to mail to news gatewaying.  I'm not
doing it myself yet, but will shortly.  You don't want to spawn a new NNTP
connection for every incoming mail message if you end up doing any real
volume of gatewaying (and since we throw postmaster at stanford.edu into a
newsgroup, we do a fairly high volume).  The great thing about this
approach is that you can just munge the format of the message and drop it
into spool/incoming, and then let rnews -U pick it up periodically.