mail-news gw + message delete

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Feb 10 00:54:46 UTC 2004

In article <1076108066.1668.62.camel at kian.localdomain>,
Krisztian VASAS  <iron at ironiq.hu> wrote:
| Hello all!
|

| I'd like to make a news frontend for some mailing lists. I've configured
| the inn2 (2.4.1). But I've got 2 problems:
|
| 1. Anyone can delete a message on the server. How can I turn this off?

Don't accept cancels. Or make your filter a tad smarter and drop cancels
to that group. Or several other things.

| 2. I wanted to configure the mail2news gw (the opposite works), but
| doesn't work.
| The background: there are several maillists, but I don't want to create
| many users, just only one, which gets the mails and puts into the
| newsgroup. The news server is read-only without password, but if someone
| has got a username/password, the user can post messages.
| And here is the problem: I couldn't post with mailpost (neither from
| /etc/aliases nor from ~/.procmailrc), because posting is not allowed w/o
| user/pass.

I made all my list into moderated groups. Posts go back to the moderator
address, and I have the mail come into a single address which uses
procmail to call a program I wrote to massage the headers and generate
output in rnews format. That gets picked up and things get posted.

This is VERY scalable, since everything is just an entry in a flat file.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc