Problem with history - cant fgets after article

Thomas Hühn inn at daphne.gnuu.de
Thu Jan 1 17:41:50 UTC 2004

Also sprach Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>:

>> I haven't found much about that "cant fgets after article" in Google
>> Groups and don't know what's wrong.
>
> This sounds really familiar.  I'm sure that I've seen this before in
> news.software.nntp or on this mailing list.  I *think* this means innd has
> died; is that what you're seeing?  Is there anything in errlog?

innd dies, but usually accepts a few articles (this time one, I'm not
sure whether it sometimes accepts more) before doing so.

>> In the meantime I get even more errors:
>
>> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne rnews: offered
>> | <200312282208.hBSM8Nn8004028 at jupiter.gwalter.demon.co.uk> uucp.gnuu
>> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: dbz not open for this history file
>> | /self/inn/db/history
>> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: dbz not open for this history file
>> | /self/inn/db/history
>> | Dec 28 23:41:48 daphne innd: tradindexed: index inode mismatch for
>> | F7961EF57C01E9591BA1834459B07AC9
>
>> Do you have a clue what might have gong wrong?
>
> Well, that would seem to indicate that your history file is hosed.  I'm
> not sure about the tradindexed error; that particular message is sometimes
> a harmless warning.  tdx-util -A will audit your overview database and see
> if it can find any other problems.

tdx-util didn't report anything. I'm using CNFS exclusively now, just to
make everything a bit simpler.

I have tried INN 2.3.5 now; but I have the same problem.

I even get those errors if I try to "clone" the old INN on the other
computer as much as possible. For now, I don't know what more I could
try... perhaps just playing a bit more with the permissions of rnews?
Could something like that trigger this error? :-(

Or maybe the problem lies outside of INN's configuration... maybe even
in hardware?

Greetings
Thomas