Problem with history - cant fgets after article

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 1 18:30:47 UTC 2004

Thomas H=FChn <inn at daphne.gnuu.de> writes:
> Also sprach Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>:

>> This sounds really familiar.  I'm sure that I've seen this before in
>> news.software.nntp or on this mailing list.  I *think* this means innd
>> has died; is that what you're seeing?  Is there anything in errlog?

> innd dies, but usually accepts a few articles (this time one, I'm not
> sure whether it sometimes accepts more) before doing so.

Try upgrading to a current STABLE snapshot from INN 2.4.0.  There was a
bug in INN that caused it to die when processing certain malformed
messages, and I'm wondering if you're running into that.

Upgrading to a STABLE snapshot should be pretty painless; just configure,
make, make update, and restart INN.

> I even get those errors if I try to "clone" the old INN on the other
> computer as much as possible. For now, I don't know what more I could
> try... perhaps just playing a bit more with the permissions of rnews?
> Could something like that trigger this error? :-(

No, if innd is dying, there's a software bug somewhere (well, it might be
hardware, but I think that's fairly unlikely).

--=20