how does history file get too large?

Anne Wilson anne at unidata.ucar.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:49:08 UTC 2004

Mark Hittinger wrote:

> Well dealing with control.* should help quite a bit but you may need to
> investigate going to "large file" support inn.  Double check your OS to
> make sure it can do it.

It can, but I'm not convinced it's the best way to go (please see my response to Bill).

> Keep in mind that a large history file will slow down incoming article
> speed.  The history cache size can help mitigate this.

Yeah - it certainly seems faster now after rebuilding it yesterday.

I forgot about hiscachesize - thanks for the reminder.  Although, I must've looked at it at some point because I set it to 256 some time ago. Maybe when the history file is larger I'll experiment with increasing this...

Thanks Bill and Mark for the help and support!

Anne
Anne Wilson			UCAR Unidata Program
anne at unidata.ucar.edu		       P.O. Box 3000
              			  Boulder, CO  80307