Confusing logs

F. Senault fred.letter at lacave.net
Thu Jul 15 21:51:14 UTC 2004

Hi.

Maybe this is a known problem, but :

I was browsing my innreport statistics right now, and I was alarmed by
the small number of articles accepted from my peers.

After some investigation, I found something strange : it seems that
innd doesn't correctly log the number of articles received from one of
my peers, the most active, of course.

This isn't a really big feed (around 12k-16k articles per day, no
binaries).

I'm using a quite recent snapshot : INN 2.5.0 (20040629 prerelease).

Using the 9th of July as a reference :

http://talisker.lacave.net/news/stats/news-notice.2004.07.09-03.30.00.html

Says I've taken 8721 articles.  In that, I see that news.neottia.net
has sent 163 articles, of which I accepted 112.

Though, if I look into the logs :

> zcat news.6.gz | grep '+ news.neottia.net' | wc -l
    9173
> zcat news.6.gz | head -n1
Jul  9 03:30:01.897 + /.../

(Thats the good day.)

More over, if I look into news.notice of that day; most of the lines
are like :

innd: news.neottia.net:34 closed seconds 1212 accepted 3 ...
innd: news.neottia.net:44 closed seconds 1201 accepted 0 ...
innd: news.neottia.net:28 closed seconds 1201 accepted 0 ...
innd: news.neottia.net:49 closed seconds 3333 accepted 29 ...

Now, If I look at the next day of stats, I see :

1 news.neottia.net  73  9571  9186  106  279  95%  47:52:21
                                                   ^^^^^^^^
Does that mean the connection lasted 48 hours, and skipped a whole
day of stats ?

Indeed, if I look into the next day of news.notice, I find :

Jul 10 05:37:22 talisker innd: news.neottia.net:47 closed seconds 84352 accepted 9149 ...

Wow.

Is that expected behaviour ?  Something that can easily be corrected ?

The other server is using DNews, BTW.

Thanks for any info.

Fred
--
[Humour] puts its arms around your shoulder and warms you when you feel
the cold of an uncaring world.  Frivolity puts a lamp-shade on its head