cannot lock/unlock group at ...

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 18 16:10:23 UTC 2004

spam <spam at keyos.org> writes:

> Today after upgrading from INN 2.3.3 to INN 2.4.1 using regular 'make
> update' I started seeing following error message in general log:

> innd: [ID 801587 local0.error] tradindexed: cannot lock group entry at 2008648: Resource temporarily unavailable
> innd: [ID 801587 local0.error] tradindexed: cannot lock group entry at 2008648: Resource temporarily unavailable
> innd: [ID 801587 local0.error] tradindexed: cannot unlock group entry at 2008648: Resource temporarily unavailable
> innd: [ID 801587 local0.error] tradindexed: cannot unlock group entry at 2008648: Resource temporarily unavailable

> Huge amount of such messages coming in bulks (around 100 messages at
> once and then pause for a minute or two). The numbers of group entry
> position in the message change constantly.

> New binaries were compiled with exact same options as old ones and
> configuration was checked and compared to generated samples.

> I don't see any impact on service, but I would like to understand why
> there's a problem with locking and to fix it.

Yeah, INN continues on if it can't get a lock.

For some reason, your operating system is occasionally rejecting attempts
to do advisory locking on the group index file with EAGAIN.  I'm not sure
why.  It should block the operation until the lock can be acquired, if
it's currently held by another process.

What operating system is this?  And is there NFS involved?

(INN 2.3.3 wasn't as comprehensive about its locking, so I'm not too
surprised that this changed between versions.)