cannot lock/unlock group at ...

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 18 18:53:04 UTC 2004

Stas Pirogov <spam at keyos.org> writes:

> Yes, there is an NFS server involved.  Actually everything except
> binaries and configuration is located on NetApp server.

I'm afraid that this isn't a supported configuration; it may work, but it
may not.  This has been true going back to INN 2.3 as well, although the
symptoms are less obvious there because INN 2.3 doesn't do thorough
locking.  You can still see inconsistencies in the overview data, though.

I'm hoping that a separate file used just for locking will be able to
resolve this locking issue on Solaris in the future (Solaris can't lock a
file that's being memory mapped), but I'm not sure when that work will be
done.