INN 2.3.3: expire(8) doesn't

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 30 22:24:06 UTC 2004

Ben Rosengart <br+inn at panix.com> writes:

> I use cycbuffs for everything except panix.*, which is stored in
> tradspool.  groupbaseexpiry is set to "true".  Here's my expire.ctl,
> minus comments and whitespace:

>   /remember/:0
>   *:A:1:30:360
>   *.answers:A:1:45:120
>   panix.*:A:1:never:never
>   panix.test:A:1:7:10
>   panix.staff.*:A:30:360:720
>   panix.staff.corp-web:A:30:90:180
>   panix.staff.tech-staff:A:1:never:never
>   alt.config:A:7:60:120
>   news.announce.newgroups:A:7:60:120
>   news.software.nntp:A:1:14:90
>   rec.arts.startrek.info:A:1:45:120

> Expiry on the cycbuff stuff is to keep the size of overview and history
> reasonable.  My problem is that panix.* is not being expired.  I tried
> running expire by hand with "-ntvxz foo" and ended up with an empty foo.
> I'm at a bit of a loss.  Thoughts, suggestions, questions?  Thanks in
> advance.

Are those old articles in the overview database?  Expiration under
groupbaseexpiry is driven entirely by the overview information, so if the
articles are missing from overview for some reason, they won't be expired.

You should be able to check by trying to retrieve overview information
using XOVER for the articles in question.

Also, are they crossposted?  Crossposted articles to other groups that
don't expire will sometimes not be expired for various internal reasons.