inn setup

Paul Scruby inn at scruby.com
Fri Jun 11 16:03:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a local news server in my company for
internal discussions.  It does not need to receive or push other feeds
from the internet.  I have installed inn-2.3.2-12 on a RedHat7.3 server
and tried to set-up the configuration files using bits and pieces from
various guides I found online.

The problem is that my news reader can connect to the server, but it can't
see any of the newgroups I create.  I would be really grateful if anyone
can offer some tips to get this working.

This is a summary of what I have changed so far...

--- inn.conf ---
pathhost: news.prod.local
domain:            prod.local
server:            news.prod.local
fromhost:        prod.local

--- incoming.conf ---
peer ME {
  hostname:         "news.prod.local, 172.17.65.1"
}

--- readers.conf ---
auth "pub" {
  hosts: "*"
  default: ""
}

access "full" {
  users: ""
  newsgroups: "*"
  access: RP
}

--- storage.conf ---
method timehash {
    newsgroups: *
    class: 0
}

---------
Then as root I did:

cd /var/lib/news
rm history*
touch history
makedbz -i
rename history.n. history. history*
chown -R news.news /var/spool/news
chown -R news.news /var/lib/news
/etc/init.d/innd start
ctlinnd newgroup mycompany.testgroup y "Added test newsgroup"

------
However, my news reader (Mozilla) can not see this new group.  I also
tried testing the server locally with telnet, (I'm not sure if this is the
way to do it) but I got:

telnet localhost nntp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 news.prod.local InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).
LIST
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
.

I was also wondering where to specify the email address to send the
news.daily reports to?

Thanks in advance...

Paul