Inn throttles

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 5 17:53:01 UTC 2004

Eugene Y Jen <eugene at pubsub.com> writes:

> Anyone know the possible reasons for such situation?

> no matching entry in storage.conf storing article -- throttling

Subject: 4.1. innd: SERVER cant store article

You probably have a misconfigured storage.conf.  In current versions of
INN, "no matching entry in storage.conf" is added to the end of this
message unless it really is a disk I/O problem, making the cause
considerably clearer.

storage.conf(5) has this to say:

    If an article doesn't match any entry, either by being posted to a
    newsgroup that doesn't match any of the <wildmat> patterns or by being
    outside the size and expires ranges of all entries whose newsgroups
    pattern it does match, the article is not stored and is rejected by
    innd(8).  When this happens, the error message

         cant store article: no matching entry in storage.conf

    is logged to syslog.  If you want to silently drop articles matching
    certain newsgroup patterns or size or expires ranges, assign them to the
    "trash" storage method rather than having them not match any storage
    method entry.

One of the more frequent causes of this problem is misuse of the expires
key in storage.conf entries.  Read the man page for storage.conf very
carefully if you're using the expires key, since it may not do what you
think it does.  In particular, if you have a storage class that specifies
expires with a min-time greater than 0, it won't match any article without
an Expires header (the vast majority of Usenet articles).