how to improve performance of feeder-only server?

Ilya Varlashkin ilya at samara.net
Thu Mar 18 00:00:37 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I'm trying to get my server to keep-up with desired feed (around 400GB/day
incoming and around 900GB outgoing). Looking at the innreport statistic
innd spends most of the roughly 25% in history lookups and same 25%
in history write. I use following system:

Dual Xeon 2.4Gz, 1GB RAM,
LSILogic MegaRAID with 128MB RAM,
2x36GB 10K rpm, RAID 1
Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet used as 100BaseTX, no jumbo frames
OS: FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2

According to systat(1) I have upto 5000 interrupts/sec on one NIC (external
sites) and upto 2500 on another NIC (local innd for readers and exchange
with second local feeder).

If I look at second feeder, there is backlog growing towards this first
feeder (though not that fast, but doesn't clean up), so I suspect from
fast external sites the situation is much worse.

The question is what can I do to improve performance and keep up with the
feed?

Kind regards,
Ilya Varlashkin