how to improve performance of feeder-only server?

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Thu Mar 18 01:28:09 UTC 2004

In article <20040318000037.GA43375 at CITADEL.NOBULUS.COM>,
Ilya Varlashkin  <ilya at samara.net> wrote:
>I'm trying to get my server to keep-up with desired feed (around 400GB/day
>incoming and around 900GB outgoing). Looking at the innreport statistic
>innd spends most of the roughly 25% in history lookups and same 25%
>in history write. I use following system:
>
>Dual Xeon 2.4Gz, 1GB RAM,
>LSILogic MegaRAID with 128MB RAM,
>2x36GB 10K rpm, RAID 1
>Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet used as 100BaseTX, no jumbo frames
>OS: FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2
>
>According to systat(1) I have upto 5000 interrupts/sec on one NIC (external
>sites) and upto 2500 on another NIC (local innd for readers and exchange
>with second local feeder).
>
>If I look at second feeder, there is backlog growing towards this first
>feeder (though not that fast, but doesn't clean up), so I suspect from
>fast external sites the situation is much worse.
>
>The question is what can I do to improve performance and keep up with the
>feed?

Up the hiscachesize in inn.conf ? Mine is set to 8192.

My single PIV 3Ghz / 1 GB RAM does 900 GB in/day and 2000 GB out/day.

Setup is INN 2.4, Linux 2.6, Hyperthreading, 1x80 GB ATA for system/logs,
1x80 GB SATA for /news (mainly history), 3x80 GB SATA for CNFS spool.

Mike.
--
Netu, v qba'g yvxr gur cynvagrkg :)

Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>